Parts and Functions of Grinding Machine:
The functions of the above-mentioned parts of the grinding machine are given below: –
- Abrasive Wheel.
- Wheel Guard.
- Abrasive Wheel Head.
- Three Types of Traversing Wheels.
- Coolant Supply Nozzle.
- The base is under the majority of the grinding machine. It is usually made of cast iron. This aids the rest of the grinding machine.
- The table is relaxed at the base. This is where the workpiece is placed and properly placed for grinding. It can move horizontally left and right using a traversing wheel known as a hand traversing wheel.
- It is a vertical column where the abrasive wheel, wheel head, and wheel guard are placed.
#4. Abrasive Wheel-
- It is the main wheel that rotates and removes the material from the surface of the workpiece and makes it smooth. This wheel is coated with abrasion and allows the material to be removed easily from the surface of the workpiece.
#5. Wheel Guard-
- It is a cover of an abrasive wheel or grinding wheel which protects the worker in any type of accident—grinding machine parts and functions.
#6. Abrasive Wheel Head-
- It is a compartment that is moved up or down using a traversing wheel called a vertical feed handwheel. We push this wheel head forward so that the grinding wheel touches the workpiece.
#7. Three Types of Traversing Wheels-
- Hand traversing wheel: – This traversings wheel is used to move the table, and it is left horizontally to accommodate the workpiece with the grinding wheel.
- Cross-side handwheel: – This traversing wheel is used to move the work table in the forward and backward direction to make contact between the workpiece and the grinding wheel.
- Vertical feed handwheel: – This traversing wheel is used to move the wheel head in vertical up and down direction. These three wheels are used to adjust the positions of the workpiece and the grinding wheel so that these two make contact with each other.
#8. Coolant Supply Nozzle-
- The coolant supply nozzle is used to insert the nozzle into the grinding machine, which cools the work area so that heat is not decomposed into the workpiece and the abrasive wheel.
Also, Read: Simple Indexing in Milling Machine
- Grinding machines or grinders are devices that are used to grind workpieces. This produces a smooth finish on the flat surface. The grinding wheel is used in grinding machines for cutting.
- The grinding wheel is coated with friction material. Each grain of abrasive material is cut through a small piece of the workpiece through shear deformation.
- There are different types of grinding machines depending on the purposes.
Some of the most commonly used grindings machines are: –
- Surface Grindings Machine.
- Bench Grindings Machine.
- Cylindrical Grindings Machine.
The most commonly used of the three is the surface grindings machine.
Grinding Machine Types:
Nine types of Grinding Machines:-
- Surface Grinder.
- Cylindrical Grinder.
- Centerless Grinder.
- Tool & Cutter Grinder.
- Jig Grinder.
- Gear grinder.
- Centre Grinder.
- Die Grinder.
- Angle Grinder.
#.1 Surface Grinder-
- A surface grinder consists of an abrasives wheel, chucks (a workpiece holding device), & a rotary table.
- The chuck is used to hold the materials while the wheel and object are rotated for a smooth finish.
#2. Cylindrical Grinder-
- A cylindrical mill is used to shape the outside of the workpiece. These machines accept workpieces in many types of shapes as long as they can be rotated through the central axis.
- In a cylindrical mill, both the workpiece and the grinding wheel are rotated simultaneously.
- The outer diameter grinder, inner diameter grinder, and centerless grinder are all types of cylindrical grinders.
#3. Centerless Grinder-
- A centerless grinder is the type of cylindrical grinder that uses two rotary wheels to secure the workpiece. Unlike a concentric grinder, a centerless grinder does not use a spindle.
- The rotation speed of the wheels determines the rate at which the material is removed.
#4. Tool & Cutter Grinder-
- A tool and cutter mill uses a CNC machine tool with five axes and several grinding wheels.
- These tools are used for accelerating and producing drilling, endmills, and step tools such as milling cutters.
- It is also widely used in the woodworking and metal cutting industries to produce the necessary equipment.
#5. Jig Grinder-
- Jig grinder, as the name suggests, there are many uses, dies, and fixtures when finishing jigs.
- Its primary function is to drill holes for grinding bushes and pins.
- It can also be used for the complex surface grinding to finish work started on a mill.
#6. Gear grinder-
- Gear-grinders are usually employed as the final machining process when manufacturing high-precision gears.
- The primary function of this machine is to remove the remainings few thousandths of an inch of materials left by other manufacturing methods (such as gassing or bobbing).
#7. Centre Grinder-
- The center mill is usually employed as a machining process when all types of high-precision shafts are constructed. The primary functioned of this machine is to grinds the centers of a shaft very accurately.
- Precise round center holes on both edges ensure a position with high repetition accuracy at live centers.
#8. Die Grinder-
- The die grinder is a high-speed handheld rotary tool with a small diameter grind.
- They are typically driven by air (using compressed air) but can be run directly with a small electric motor or through a flexible shaft.
#9. Angle Grinder-
- Another handheld power tool, often used in construction and construction work.