Steam Stop Valve in Boiler:
Steam stop valves mount in boilers are important for the safe operation of the boiler. It is present at the top of the boiler. It is used to transfer the steam of the boiler to the place where it is needed.
It is commonly used to regulate the flow of steam from a boiler to a steam pipe or steam pipe to another steam pipe.
Parts of Steam Stop Valve:
The various parts of Steam Stop Valve are:-
- Steam Passage.
- Valve Seat.
- Hand Wheel.
- Valve Body.
#1. Steam Passage-
- Steam from the boiler enters here.
- It is actually made of brass so that it is protected from wear and tear. This valve prevents steam from boiling.
#3. Valve Seat-
- It is also made of brasses so that close-fitting between the brass and the brass sheet is obtained, and both of them last longer.
#4. Hand Wheel-
- It is present at the top of the steams stop valves when it is mounted.
#5. Valve Body-
- It is usually made of cast irons or cast steel.
- This is the long rod that connects the handwheel to the valve>
- It is served as a support for the handwheel rod. It is present on either side of the handwheel rod.
- It is the yoke rod that gives the yoke a height.
- It is present between the stud & rod of the handwheel. This prevents the leakage of steam from the space between the handwell rod and the valve body.
Constructions of Steam Stop Valve:
The flange of the valve body moves to the highest part of the steam space of the boiler. It consists of a valve seat and nut. The main body of the valve is a valve seat made of cast iron and gunmetal.
When the steam stop valve is placed directly above the boiler and connected to the stream pipeline, the junction valve is called. If it is placed near the prime mover, it is normally called a steam stop valve.
The lower end of the spindle is connected to the upper part of the valve and passes through the gland and yoke, and is connected to the handwheel. The gland is used to prevent leakage of steam.
Working of Steam Stop Valve:
By default, the value of the steam stop valve is turned off, and steam is not allowed to pass through the valve. When the spindles are rotated by rotating the handwheel, the valve is up-down according to the direction of rotation.
When the valve moves steam up into the boiler, it is allowed to pass through the steam stop valve and is moved to the area where it is needed.
Principle of Steam Stop Valve:
As the spindle rotates, the spindle is rotated with the help of the handwheel, and the valve moves up and down. When the valve sits on the valve seat, the passage of steam stops completely.
The steam passage can be partially or fully opened by moving the valve upwards; the clearance (passage) between the valve and the valve seat controls the flow of steam from the boiler with the help of rotating the handwheel.
In locomotive boilers, the supply of steam is regulated through a regulator that is placed inside the boiler cell and operated from the driver’s cabin.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Steam Boiler Valve
Steam Boiler valves are integral to any steam or hot water application. Boiler valves are used in steam boilers as a safety device to control pressure and control temperature. Main types of steam boiler valves or safety valves Ball valves Gate valves Plug valves Butterfly valves Globe valve Disc check valves.
Working of Steam Stop Valve
It is fitted over the boiler in between the steam space and steam supply line. Its function is to regulate the steam supply from the boiler to the steam line. Its casing has an L-shaped steam flow passage. It consists of a valve and valve seat to stop or allow the steam flow.
Steam Boiler Water Feed Valve
The McDonnell & Miller float operated water feed valve will automatically send water into the steam boiler if waterfalls sufficiently activate its float.