Aircraft is a device, vehicle, or machine which flies in the sky with the help of air or by obtaining support from the air. Aircraft are used in transportation, traveling, and the military/army. Because of aircraft, we can travel 1000 miles in just a few hours.
In this article, we have discussed the aircraft and its Engine and various types of aircraft engines like turboprop engines, passenger aircraft, and many knowledgeable things related to aircraft.
The Engine of an aircraft is the part or component that works as a pushing(propulsion) system for the aircraft by which mechanical power is generated. The engines of an aircraft come in two types one is the piston, and the second one is a gas turbine(turbo engine). 1930 was the year when Frank Whittle invented the first aircraft turbojet engine.
Generally, commercial airplanes, the aircraft use four engines to fly. Engines of commercial aircraft fly from one continent to another in a couple of hours. The engines used in commercial aircraft are 2x times bigger in size than the aircraft which only fly in the country.
These engines are powerful and reliable, which is important for long travel. The Engine of the aircraft is also known as an aero engine. The big aircraft like boeing777 use big dual engines, the GE90-115B engine.
It helps aircraft to travel from one continent to another smoothly and safely because of its powerful engines. Engines in the aircraft are placed below an aircraft’s wings, which allow aircraft thrust to push or speed up the aircraft towards forwarding direction by air.
The aircraft which fly in the air at low speed use a fan on the nose of the aircraft to push the aircraft instead of using turbo engines.
Types of Aircraft Engines
Five types of Engines are used in aircraft. Every Engine has its benefits and disadvantages. In this article, you will get all the knowledge related to aircraft and the engines used. Below there is the list of the aircraft engines:
There are five main types of aircraft engines:
- Turbojet Engine
- Turbofan Engine
- Turboprop Engine
- Turboshaft Engine
- Ramjet Engine
#1. Turbojet Engine
The turbojet engine was firstly built/developed by British and german aero scientists during world war 2. Turbojets fly in the sky through the air with the push of powerful gas.
- The concept used in aircraft with a turbojet engine is very easy and simple.
- The Engine of an aircraft takes the air from the rear side of the Engine and then compresses it in the compressor.
- But at the same time, it is necessary to add fuel to the combustion chamber and burn to increase the fluid mixture temperature by 1000 degrees.
- Because of this process, hot air is produced and passed from the turbine, which rotates the compressor.
- The pressure created when the turbine gets discharged should be twice the pressure in the atmosphere.
- Although it depends on the level of efficiency of an engine that is used in the aircraft.
- The imprudent pressure then transfers to the nozzle by which gas streams get generated.
#2. Turbofan Engine
Using a big fan in aircraft makes it easy to intake air. A turbofan engine is designed in such a way that it combines features and technology of turboprop and turbojet engines.
Turbofan engines have some benefits, like producing thrust at low speed. The first aircraft company was Boeing which used turbofan engines while mounting its 737-300 aircraft starting in the 1980s.
- In 2018, the big GE9X turbofan engine was built to power aircraft like the 777X by the company Boeing.
- Turbofan engines come with big fans to suck the air.
- While using a turbofan engine, the airflow is from the aircraft engine’s exterior to give the aircraft more power to fly in the air.
- Nowadays, most airlines get power from turbofan jet engines. Air enters the turbofan jet engine and flows from a generator that produces hot air.
- A generator in an aircraft is made up of a turbo/turbine combustion chamber and a compressor.
- Less air will pass through the Engine (turbofan) and reach the combustion chamber.
- The remaining air will pass through the compress, which has low pressure or pass by a fan. Afterward, it will be mixed with gas produced, or otherwise, it will eject directly.
- The main reason behind this process is to produce power at the same time they are trying to maintain a consistent level of consumption.
#3. Turboprop Engine
A turboprop engine is like an engine of a turbojet that uses a system of gears to connect the aircraft propeller. The gearbox used in the aircraft comes with a turbojet that spins the shaft attached to it. To connect the gear to the propeller gearbox, slowly spin the shaft. To produce power/thrust, propellers produce through the air.
The engines of the turbofan aircraft are fuel-efficient, and it rotates at a medium speed like 200 to 350 knots.
As engines of turbofan aircraft are efficient at medium range, they can break down rapidly because aircraft are heavyweight. A turboprop engine comprises combustion chambers that have pressurized air and gas that work together and run the
- To run the compressor, power is needed to run the compressor that is created by the gas and air.
- The fan blades of an aircraft are in scimitar shape, and the tip edge is swept to the back side for efficiency when the flight is traveling at high speed.
- The engines of aircraft which come with such propellers are defined as the profits. We all know that aircraft which have turbofan engines can convert gas streams into mechanical power to gain power.
- The first ever turboprop engine was built and designed in Budapest in 1938. The testing of the turboprop engine was done in 1940 in an august month. In 1942 the first turboprop engine was started to operate.
#4. Turboshaft Engine
A turboshaft engine is a form of a turbine that is gas-powered, and it operates the same as a turboprop engine. But it can’t operate a propeller-like turboprop engine. As the turboshaft engine can’t operate the propeller it used to provide.
Power to a rotor used in helicopters.
- The design of turboshaft engines is designed to make the rotor speed rotate independently of the speed of the gas generator.
- It makes the helicopter capable of maintaining the speed of the rotor constantly even when it declines the speed of the gas generator.
- The engines, like the turboshaft, are generally used in helicopters. The main difference between a turboshaft engine and a turbojet engine is that the turbojet engine uses its power to turn its turbine instead of generating force.
- The turbojet and turboshaft engines are similar, but the turbojet has a long shaft connecting the front and back sides.
- In helicopters, most engines are used as turboshaft engines in which a shaft connects the transmission of the helicopter rotor blade.
- Most of the components used in turboshaft engines are turbojet engines or the same as turbojet engines. The turbine is fitted with a shaft to provide the power to the transmission of the rotor blade.
- Transmission of rotor blade works to transfer the shaft rotation to the rotor blade. Piston engines are a little bigger than that turboshaft engines, but the weight of the turboshaft engine is higher than the weight of the piston engine.
- The gear system of the turboshaft engine is on the downside, and it can break down easily.
#5. Ramjet Engine
Nowadays, lightweight engines are coming into the aircraft, and some parts of these engines are not moveable. When it comes to an aircraft’s speed, it is responsible for taking air into the Engine.
- Ramjet engines also dive the same as turbojet engines use. But only the parts which rotate are not present in the Engine.
- Ramjet engines are not like other engines as other engines develop static force. Ramjet engines are not capable of developing static force; instead of this, it produces a little force below the speed of sound.
- It means that aircraft using or running ramjet engines need assistance while taking off.
- Engines like ramjets are generally used in space vehicles and some missiles.
- In ramjet engines, as the speed of the aircraft starts to increase, the efficiency of this Engine starts to drop because the air temperature in the vent increases due to its compression.
Most Powerful Turboprop Engine
The most powerful turboprop engine is the Kuznetsov NK-12. The Kuznetsov NK-12 is a soviet engine. It is an engine from the 1950s.
- Kuznetsov NK-12 is designed by Kuznetsov design bureau.
- Kuznetsov NK-12 operates on two massive fans with four-bladed rotating fans. NK-12MA has 5.6m(18feet) diameter while NK-12MV has 6.2 meter(20 feet)diameter. Worldwide it is the most powerful turboprop engine.
Whether the Turboprop or Jet? Who Is Faster?
Turboprop engines are more efficient at less speed, but jets are more efficient at high speed; hence, jets are faster than that turboprops.
- The fastest turboprop worldwide is the Avanti EVO
- Avanti EVO can reach the speed of 460mph; this makes Avanti EVO the world’s fastest turboprop aircraft.
- Avanti EVO aircraft is even faster than some jets.
Turboprop Passenger Aircraft
Turboprop aircraft are affordable for passengers traveling for short distances with not more than eight or nine passengers(depending on the aircraft variant/model).
For such passengers, it is the most affordable flight. Turboprop aircraft have the advantage that this type of aircraft doesn’t need big airports to land in smaller airports.
- Turboprop aircraft can fly at speeds between 300 to 400km.
- Turboprop engine aircraft have an average of between 1000 to 2,500 km.
Below is the name of the aircraft that use turboprop engines in their
New Twin Turboprop Aircraft
Twin aircraft means the aircraft which fly with two turboprop engines. Turboprop aircraft are like small jets that use jet engines. Some aircraft use one/single turboprop engines, which perform pretty well.
On the other hand, aircraft with two turboprop engines obsessively perform better than single turboprop engines. Turboprops use the same engine jets and offer the same comfort in the cabin and the same price while purchasing it.
In the below list, there are three new best twin-turboprop aircraft.
- Piaggio Avanti Evo
- Beechcraft King Air 350i
- SAAB 340
#1. Piaggio Avanti Evo
Piaggio Avanti Evo is firstly developed in installation, or we can say it is an Italian aircraft. The bar is set aside from the aircraft. No other airplane has a look and design like Piaggio. With two powerful engines which face toward the back, Piaggio can boost its speed to 400mph.
|Range of Avanti Evo
|Speed of Avanti Evo
|The capacity of Avanti Evo
|9 to 10 passengers(max)
|Between $ 6 million to $ 8 million
#2. Beechcraft King Air 350i
Beechcraft King Air 350i was first introduced to people in the year 1972
And this airplane was always on top when the matter came to luxury, class, premiums, and comfort transport; at that time Beechcraft King Air 350i was the best. Each turboprop engine produces thrust nearby 1000 horsepower. The airplane can carry tons of load, and it is still capable of cruising on 300mph.
|Range of the Beechcraft king
|Speed of Beechcraft king
|The capacity of Beechcraft king
|10 to 11 passengers(max)
|Between $ 5 million to $ 8 million
#3. SAAB 340
This is an aircraft that is not as popular as it is expected to be. This aircraft was manufactured by a Swedish company known as SAAB.
|Range of the SAAB 340
|Speed of SAAB 340
|The capacity of SAAB 340
|36 to 39 passengers(max)
|Between $ 6 million to $ 10 million
Cessna Single-Engine Turboprop for Sale
This is the smallest plane ever. The maximum range of Cessna aircraft is 916nm as this aircraft is the smallest one, so the engine which is used in the aircraft is small, so it is not possible for the aircraft to fly in the air at high speed.
That’s why the max speed of a Cessna Aircraft is 145 ktas. The maximum number of passengers who can travel in Cessna aircraft is only 4 passengers. Cessna is capable of carrying a 1,110 lb load with it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
An aircraft engine often referred to as an aero engine, is the power component of an aircraft propulsion system. Most aircraft engines are either piston engines or gas turbines, although a few have been rocket-powered and in recent years, many small UAVs have used electric motors.
Types of Aircraft Engines
The 5 Main Types of Aircraft Jet Engines
- Turboprop Engine.
- Turbojet Engine.
- Turboshaft Engine.
- Turbofan Engine.
- Ramjet Engine.
Current engines: A turboprop engine is a turbine engine that drives an aircraft propeller. GE T64 turboprop, with the propeller on the left, the gearbox with accessories in the middle, and the gas generator (turbine) on the right.
Most Powerful Turboprop Engine
The Kuznetsov NK-12 is a Soviet turboprop engine of the 1950s, designed by the Kuznetsov design bureau. The NK-12 drives two large four-bladed contra-rotating propellers, 5.6 m (18 ft) in diameter (NK-12MA), and 6.2 m (20 ft) in diameter (NK-12MV). It is the most powerful turboprop engine to enter service.
Cessna Twin Turboprop
The FAA CERTIFIED CESSNA SKYCOURIER utility turboprop. Designed from the ground up with a flexible payload that’s big enough for your cargo or up to 19 passengers and their baggage.
turboprop, also called P Jet, is a hybrid engine that provides jet thrust and also drives a propeller. It is basically similar to a turbojet except that an added turbine, rearward of the combustion chamber, works through a shaft and speed-reducing gears to turn a propeller at the front of the engine.